Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Madeira Dreamin'

Over the past few weeks, I’ve been getting pumped about our move. It’s time for us to have our own place, our own space, and a new and exciting life together. The months here have slowly crept along and my schedule has been exceedingly monotonous, which is very out of the ordinary for me. Don’t get me wrong, this is a beautiful place and our family is here, but there are so many things about South Africa that make it a not-so-great place to live. For one thing, the crime rate is through the roof. I don’t know about you, but I don’t like the idea of spending my life behind walls and bars, worrying if my kid is going to get high jacked on the way home from a friend’s house. Massive amounts of crime coupled with incompetence and a general lack of respect for others has definitely turned me off from living here. The country is beautiful and the culture is rich, but I would rather thing of SA as a vacation spot than home.

In Madeira, there is less than 1% crime rate, there is safe public transportation, you can walk everywhere (if you can handle the hills), the lifestyle is laid-back and easy, and the landscape is like something out of National Geographic. Call me delusional, but I have these grand plans of (safely) strolling around the city while Miguel is training, stopping off at the market and the local bakeries daily. I suppose my upbringing in quiet little Central Florida has me spoiled. Is it so much to ask to enjoy life without having to keep your hand locked around your handbag or making sure to strip off all your jewelry before going for a walk? I think not.

There is only about 2 weeks to go before I get back to what I consider normal and I am itching to get on that plane. Until then, I’ll look at these photos and dream. 



Isn't he dreamy?

Labels:

1 Comments:

At March 12, 2012 at 9:38 AM , Blogger Paul said...

we so jealous. mikey can't wait to come haha

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home