Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Packing Up

After weeks of waiting and anticipating, we finally have the date of my hubby’s farewell. On Saturday, he will be flying to a new team, a new country, and a new life. I got started packing a little early because, although we have four suitcases between the two of us, my winter clothes and I’ll-never-fit-into-these-again clothes have been inhabiting said suitcases. So, not only did I have to pack Miguel’s clothes, but also sort and organize mine. Needless to say, our room was looking like a bomb went off. 

It even spilled over to the living room.
Miguel is currently sitting over my shoulder wanting me to clarify that the above picture is all my stuff..

Finally, after about two hours, his stuff was sorted, and mine is, well, almost there. I’ve still got to pack wedding gifts and all of our stuff that is not going to fit into two suitcases each into boxes for overseas shipping. Thank God for shipping. All sorting, organizing, and packing took a total of four hours, and I’m not even close to being done. I counted it as a workout. Suitable choice, I think.

Later, I cooked a lovely dinner, courtesy Nigella Lawson. Rapid Ragu, AKA spaghetti bolognaise with lentils mixed in… I was down like China Town. The familia loved it, and so did I. I’m all for adding lentils to beef up a recipe. Protein, fiber, and yumminess. You can’t go wrong.

Here’s the delish recipe. You will love it.
Remnants of a FULL pot.
 Rapid Ragu 

(As a side note, I almost NEVER follow recipe exactly. I have an immensely strong compulsion to make it my own. :) This sometimes makes baking a problem...)

 Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp garlic oil (I used olive oil and added a bit of crushed garlic later while sauteing the meat)
  • 125g/4½oz cubed pancetta (thick bacon)
  • 500g/1lb 1½oz minced lamb (beef)
  • 75g/2¾oz caramelised onions (from a jar) (I caramelized my own, thank you.)
  • 80ml/2¾fl oz marsala wine (I used red wine)
  • 1 x 400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
  • 75g/2¾oz green lentils (I used brown lentils)
  • 125ml/4½fl oz water (I omitted)
Method
  1. Heat the oil in a wide saucepan and fry the pancetta until beginning to turn crisp and golden-brown.
  2. Add the minced lamb, breaking it up with a fork, and stir until browned.
  3. Add the caramelised onions, marsala, tomatoes, lentils and water and bring to the boil.
  4. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  5. To serve, divide the ragù between four serving bowls and sprinkle with grated cheese, if using.
We had this atop pasta, but I think it would be equally yummy over rice or quinoa!

Tomorrow, we’re off to do some last minute shopping, meet with Miguel’s agent, and hang about. I’m only leaving next week, which gives me the chance to pack my stuff as well as ready the boxes for the movers. It’s gonna be a task, but I’m up for it. I'm getting pumped!

See you next time!

Ashley

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home