Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"You Go'ne Eat Yo' Co'nbread?"

I hope at least 90% of the people who read this blog have seen the movie Life with Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence. If you haven't, watch it. Now. It's one of the funniest movies you will ever see (if you don't mind LOTS of explatives...). Miguel and I often quote the movie (the fact that so many of the quotes are applicable in our everyday lives is sad), so when I made cornbread yesterday, my husband couldn't help himself. As soon as it came out of the oven, he said, "You go'ne eat yo' co'nbread?" 

I gave him a piece, because I'm nice. It's incredible. AND gluten-free/dairy free. Yeah. What.

Co'nbread

It couldn't wait to be eaten...
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of milk of choice (I used soy)
  • 1 tbsp vinegar
  • 2 cups cornmeal (white or yellow)
  • 2 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup sugar (you can omit this if you don't want sweet cornbread)
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil (or melted butter for non-dary-free)
  • 1 apple or 1/4 cup apple sauce
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 can of whole corn kernels (optional)

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C
  2. Mix vinegar with milk and set aside (this makes buttermilk)
  3. Combine the dry ingredients
  4. Blend oil, apple, and eggs in a food processor until smooth. If using apple sauce instead, you can just mix it.
  5. mix all of the dry and wet ingredients together
  6. Pour into a grease 8x8 pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean
This bread is so easy and so cheap, and GF/DF. How awesome is that? It's addictive though. I must warn you. You can experiment with this recipe. Next time, I want to add an extra apple, and extra egg, and no sugar. We'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

Tata for now!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home