Saturday, August 18, 2012

Limbo

Since being here in Madeira, we've been in a sort of limbo. While waiting for Miguel to possibly sign a contract with a new team, we've been crashing at a friend-of-the-family's house. Lucky for us, they are the nicest, most accommodating people, so willing to help and make us feel right at home. Hanging out with native Madeirans has its perks, too, like taking walks on back streets and seeing an old fort-turned-museum that I didn't even know existed.
They didn't want to be photographed...
Beautiful background
Fatima and Ricardo being more cooperative.
Fort Santiago. We couldn't go in because there was a wedding going on.

I'm not sure why those faces were made...
Zona Velha- Old Town

There is art everywhere in the Old Town. I think it was just a way to display the regional artisits.
I'm also still waiting on my visa to come in, so for now I'm still passing my days cooking, cleaning (a little), running errands, and spending a ridiculous amount of time on Pinterest. Basically, I'm like a lost puppy. I need a job.
And the less I do, the less I want to do. It’s a horrible cycle of laziness. Gah. Oh well, soon enough, we should be busy moving (somewhere) and I'll be job hunting, God willing. Well, Portugal willing. 
Last night, our dinner was a lovely soup with my delish co'nbread. And after that, my lovey took me out for the best ice cream (so far) in Madeira.
You can see the queue (line) of people for this place in the background.
Miguel and his tiramisu
Pistachio, cherries 'n cream, and I were very happy.
How I really felt...
You know, limbo doesn't seem like that bad a place to be...

And about that soup. It's been way too long since I've posted a recipe for you, so here is a new one for you to try:

Nordstrom's Tomato Basil Soup (adapted fromFood.com)


Ingredients
  • 6 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1 large onions, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil, crushed
  • 3 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled plum tomatoes ( 84 ounces total)
  • 1 quart chicken stock
  • 1 pint heavy cream or 1/2 cup milk (I prefer yogurt)
  • salt and pepper
 Directions
  1. In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and basil and cook until the onion is translucent.
  2. Add carrots and tomatoes and broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 30 to 45 minutes.
  3. Allow the soup to cool somewhat, then purée until smooth in a blender or food processor or using an immersion blender. At this point, you can strain it, but I never do. 
  4. Add cream little by little over low heat until desired texture is reached. Do not boil it! Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve warm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home